I’m always on the lookout for new salads or salsas for summertime eating and especially to go with a BBQ. Theres nothing that frustrates me more than boring BBQ accompaniments!
My absolute favourite is a fresh mango salsa that my mum has been making for BBQ’s for years and years. I don’t know whether she made it up, or if it’s come from a cookbook, but it’s simple and delicious and goes brilliantly with barbequed meat, especially chicken and fish.
The other salad we made for todays BBQ was inspired by broad beans, totally seasonal at the moment and bought fresh from Packington Moor Farm Shop, where we also found some great huge radishes. Hubby decided that we would make a Broad Bean, Radish and Red onion Salad with a Sherry Vinegar Dressing.
Both salads serve 2.
For the Mango Salsa:
- I medium ripe Mango, peeled and cubed
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- Juice 1 Lime
- Mix the mango, chilli and spring onions together in a bowl.
Sprinkle in the coriander and stir through
Add the juice of the lime. Serve!
For the Broad Bean and Radish Salad:
- 6 pods Broad Beans ( approx 24 beans)
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 6 radishes, finely sliced
- handful of rocket leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- Mix all the salad ingredients ( radish, broad beans, onion and rocket in a bowl)
In a separate small dish mix the mustard with the oil, then add in the vinegar, sugar salt and pepper and mix well.
- Dress the salad just before serving.
Happy eating 🙂