I hope everyone’s had a really good Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year! I’ve been quite quiet on the the blog front so sorry about that! As the last of the Christmas leftovers have been eaten we were looking for something a little bit less heavy to eat and some different flavours to the last week or so!
Originally I found a recipe for Beef Loc Lac in one of my Gordon Ramsay books – Great Escape South East Asia. It sounded really interesting, essentially a beef stif fry, but served with salad – great for a lighter alternative to the traditional stir fry. Loc Lac means ‘shaking’ and refers to the shaking of the beef in the wok. I then had a little look on the internet for other versions and came up with my version which is a combination of a few that I have had a look at. Some of the recipes, such as Rick Steins version from his Far East Odyssey say to serve the beef in lettuce ‘cups’ but I decided to go with the watercress salad adapted from Ramsays recipe. The spices vary a little from recipe to recipe so you can be flexible if theres something you’re not too keen on. The essentials for the beef though are the chilli and ginger, and sweet soy for the marinade.
We enjoyed this for a light lunch, it was super quick to make as long as you remember to stick the beef in the marinade and hour or so before. The Tuk Meric (Cambodian dipping sauce) is really refreshing as well.
For the marinade:
- 4 tbsp dark sweet soy
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 tbsp ground nut oil
- 1/2 tsp red chilli paste
- a few turns black pepper
For the Beef:
- 4 sirloin steaks, trimmed and cut into stir fry size strips
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-2 red chillies (dependent on your spice tolerance) finely chopped
- 1inch piece ginger – finely diced
For the salad:
- 1 large bag watercress
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, very finely sliced/julienned
- 4 inch piece cucumber – cut into 2inch fine batons
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar and 1 tbsp oil to dress salad if you wish
- 1 tsp crushed Kampot peppercorns and a few whole peppercorns
- Juice 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- pinch sea salt
- Place all the ingredient for the marinade in a bowl and ix together. add the the beef strips, stir well and palce in the fridge for about an hour.
- For the salad, place the watercress in a bowel with the shallots and tomatoes and cucumber. Put in the fridge until ready to serve. Dress with a little rice vinegar and oil if you want just before serving (optional)
- Prepare the tuk meric by mxing the juice of 2 limes with the pepper salt and chilli falkes and put in a small dipping bowl
- After an hour in the fridge, heat a little groundnut oil in a wok, and when hot add the beef along with the chilli, garlic and ginger.
- Fry for about 3 mins for rare steak or longer if you prefer well done meat. remove the beef and place aside to rest
- Add in the left over marinade to the wok and continue to cook down for a couple of minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Serve on a platter where people can help them selves, placing the beef alongside the salad and dressing the beef with the sauce from the wok.
Happy eating 🙂