Today marks my first blogging birthday!! I can’t believe how fast a year has gone, but at the same time it feels like I’ve been blogging forever. I work full time in a profession that couldn’t be further from blogging, and my blog is my escape from this, a hobby and now a passion. It’s no secret that my husband and I love to eat out and cook at home, he’s a chef and he has certainly been the reason I got into good food. Originally when the idea for the blog was born we were both going to do a bit of writing, but as it’s developed, the blog is certainly now ‘mine’ with Lee just eating a lot of food!
We’ve loved discovering all types of food related stuff over the last year; local farmers markets and farm shops – making an effort to support local independent producers, tasting new cuisines, creating new recipes, attending some fun event and meeting new people.
I’ve been shocked and amazed by the support I’ve had and that people actually are reading what I write!! So thank you to all that have, and I hope you will continue to in the years to come.
I thought as it’s been a year I’d round up the top ten 10 highlights of my very first year of blogging.
1. Firstly, of course, my first ever post on the blog – this was a review of the utterly fabulous and fantastic L’enclume in the Lake District. Still probably the best meal we’ve ever had ( and we’ve now had a LOT!) Simon Rogans’ cooking is original, unique and delicious and we are very much looking forward to visiting The French up in Manchester and checking out Claridges when he opens later in the year. We went to Claridges way back when Gordon Ramsay was at the Helm and it wasn’t really for us so I’ll be interested to see how much it’s changed.
3. We attended a fabulous food festival last Summer too in Shrewsbury, it was the first of many we have now been to, but it was also probably the best. It’s on again this year so you should definitely check it out if you’re nearby.
4. We enjoyed being part of the ‘street food revolution’ in Birmingham and the two main events we love are Digbeth Dining Club and BrumYumYum. If you’ve not been to either of these yet then you’re really missing out of some great nosh!
5. I’ve really started to get into my baking, and this Triple Chocolate Loaf Cake is probably the best thing that I’ve created myself (rather than just following recipes….) its now a staple in our household for a teatime treat.
6. For our 1st wedding anniversary last year we headed to the newest Michelin Star Restaurant on the Birmingham Food Scene, Adams. Unquestionably the best meal we had in 2013 and it continues to go from strength to strength. We’re planning on heading back down there very very soon.
7. The Winter of 2013 brought round our first trip to the BBC Good Food Show as part of the Official Blogging Community. This is something I’m loving being part of, championing and showcasing the best of local producers, and it’s a real celebration of everything foodie.
8. One thing I never really expected with my blog was getting the opportunity to do some great things like attend foodie events and review new foodie products. I’m really enjoying trying new things like this and supporting local food businesses and producers. One of the more recent things I have reviewed have been Just Oils who make some amazing infused rapeseed oils.
9. Something great I discovered through a new blogging friend was Foodie Penpals, where you create and receive a fab foodie box from across Europe once a month. It’s a really fun thing to do and is brilliant for finding out about foods from different countries and counties, as well as making new foodie friends.
I hope the next year brings about excitement and opportunity as much as this first one has.
Follow me on