Recipes Starters, Sides, Salads & Soups

Prawn & Coriander Dim Sum

13th August 2014

DSC_0037

This was my first ever attempt at making some little dim sum dumplings, following on from last weeks visit to Chung Ying Central, it got me inspired! Lee got me a bamboo steamer for Christmas and I’m ashamed to say this is the first time its been used, but I think thats going to change from now on. The dim sum wrappers I got from an Asian supermarket, I’ve never been able to find them in a mainstream one, so if someone has seen them, please let me know! For this first attempt I decided to go for some classic flavours, and ones that I particularly love. Maybe next time I’ll be more adventurous. The dumplings turned out really tasty and made for a fantastic supper. They were fiddly though and I think I over-steamed them a little. It will take a few attempts to get a good feel for when they are perfectly cooked I think. If you’ve never had a go at something like this, I’d definitely recommend it!

Note: you will need a bamboo steamer for this recipe

Makes 8

Ingredients:

• 8 King prawns, de-veined
  • 1 small handful coriander, finely chopped
  • 2 spring onions, finely sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 scotch bonnet chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
  • about 10 chives, finely chopped
  • 1tbsp sesame oil
  • 1tbsp shoaxing rice wine
  • pinch salt
  • pinch sugar
  • pinch cracked black pepper
  • 8 dim sum wrappers

Method:

1. Finely chop the prawns, or roughly blend them in a food processor.DSC_0023
  2. Lightly fry and soften the chopped garlic for about 2 minutes then drain on some kitchen paper
  3. In a bowl, combine the garlic, spring onion, chives, coriander and chilli in a bowl with the oil,rice wine, sugar, salt and pepper and mix thorouhgly
  4. Add in the minced or diced prawns and stir well to combine.
  5. Place a spoonful of mixture in each wrapper and close into a half moon shape, press the edges together with damp fingers and crimp the edges a little
  6. Place into a bamboo steamer lined with parchment over a saucepan of simmering water and cook for about4-5 minutes until the prawn mixture is cooked through
  7. Serve with a simple dipping sauce of your choice

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

• Reply Julie's Family Kitchen 13th August 2014 at 09:23

They look so delicious.?

• Reply Charlotte Allen 13th August 2014 at 14:34

Good afternoon !
    Just to let you know, Gourmandize UK & Ireland have launched a brand new website!

Since launching one year ago, our recipe-sharing site has now undergone a complete redesign, now live at http://www.gourmandize.co.uk!

There are plenty of new options and features to make it easier for you to share and enjoy food, including:
    โ€ข Refreshed look: A cleaner, brighter site layout makes navigation a breeze.
    โ€ข User-friendly; new drop down menus and categories makes it easier to find what your looking for.
    โ€ข New, more simple ways to submit and share all your favourite recipes and create your personalised cookbook (free for all new members!)
    As one of our top bloggers we hope that you will enjoy finding and adding new recipes, reading food articles and guides and sharing in our love of food!

Happy cooking!

The Gourmandize UK Team

• Reply Gingey Bites 14th August 2014 at 21:54

Oooh yes these look awesome! X

• Reply ask 18th April 2015 at 11:53

It’s awesome designed for me to have a web site, which is good in support
    of my knowledge. thanks admin

• Reply Serum realash 7th May 2015 at 16:06

Having read this I thought it was really informative.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this information together.
    I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting.

But so what, it was still worth it!

• Reply Dakota 16th July 2015 at 12:48

Aun de este modo, nos da buenas noticias y es que, si todo va segรบn lo previsto, Preguntados para Windows Phone
    llegarรก el mes prรณximo de septiembre.