This was my first ever attempt at making some little dim sum dumplings, following on from last weeks visit to Chung Ying Central, it got me inspired! Lee got me a bamboo steamer for Christmas and I’m ashamed to say this is the first time its been used, but I think thats going to change from now on. The dim sum wrappers I got from an Asian supermarket, I’ve never been able to find them in a mainstream one, so if someone has seen them, please let me know! For this first attempt I decided to go for some classic flavours, and ones that I particularly love. Maybe next time I’ll be more adventurous. The dumplings turned out really tasty and made for a fantastic supper. They were fiddly though and I think I over-steamed them a little. It will take a few attempts to get a good feel for when they are perfectly cooked I think. If you’ve never had a go at something like this, I’d definitely recommend it!
Note: you will need a bamboo steamer for this recipe
- 8 King prawns, de-veined
- 1 small handful coriander, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- about 10 chives, finely chopped
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp shoaxing rice wine
- pinch salt
- pinch sugar
- pinch cracked black pepper
- 8 dim sum wrappers
- Finely chop the prawns, or roughly blend them in a food processor.
- Lightly fry and soften the chopped garlic for about 2 minutes then drain on some kitchen paper
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, spring onion, chives, coriander and chilli in a bowl with the oil,rice wine, sugar, salt and pepper and mix thorouhgly
- Add in the minced or diced prawns and stir well to combine.
- Place a spoonful of mixture in each wrapper and close into a half moon shape, press the edges together with damp fingers and crimp the edges a little
- Place into a bamboo steamer lined with parchment over a saucepan of simmering water and cook for about4-5 minutes until the prawn mixture is cooked through
- Serve with a simple dipping sauce of your choice
Happy eating 🙂