Baking & Desserts Recipes

Ameretti & Chocolate Crunch Cake

10th September 2014

This cake originated from trying to use up some random ingredients we have had lying around for a while that weren’t going to last much longer, an almost full but open pack of ameretti biscuits and a half a jar of chocolate spread! I had a little google search and found quite a few recipes that used ameretti biscuits in sponge, a bit like you might used ground almonds, so decided to have my own go. I’ve used nutella in buttercream icing before, so thought this would work for the filling. I’ve since made the same sponge again and filled it with Baileys buttercream which also works really well..there’s pics of both below!

The cake was lovely and light, had a great sweetness to it, and loved the slight crunch from the ameretti biscuits. For me who loves a good chocolate cake, this was a great alternative, with maybe marginally less calories! (very marginally…!)

For the cake

• 200g butter, softened
  • 150g golden caster sugar
  • 50g light brown sugar
  • 5 medium eggs
  • 200g self raising flour
  • 75g crushed ameretti biscuits
  • 15g roughly crushed (slightly bigger bits) ameretti biscuits
  • cocoa powder/icing sugar/vanilla for dusting – I used icing sugar and my madagascan vanilla grinder for this one.

For the buttercream

• 300g icing sugar
  • 150g softened butter
  • 300g ( or more for a stronger taste) chocolate spread/nutella
  • 2 tbsp water

For the baileys buttercream, incorporate  60ml baileys liquer to the icing sugar/butter and you may need to let it down with a little water to the desired consistency

1. Preheat oven to 190degrees C. Grease and line 2x 20cm round cake tins.
  2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Add in the eggs, one at a time, each with a tbsp full of flour, beating well, this helps prevent curdling
  4. Fold in the remaining flour with a large metal spoon, then stir gently through the all of the ameretti biscuits

5. Split the mixture between the two tins and bake for around 20minutes, until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins before turning out

6. For the filling, beat the icing sugar and butter together until well combined, using an electric mixer will do this well. Add the chocolate spread and water and mix well. You can add a little more or less chocolate dependent on your taste.

7. When completely cool, spread the buttercream on the bottom layer and then sandwich over the top layer. Dust with cocoa powder if using.

Happy eating 🙂

You Might Also Like

• Reply Laura 10th September 2014 at 08:38

Yum! Send me over a piece as soon as possible please! The cake looks so light & fluffy – I must get my baking hat on soon, Im have some serious cravings.

• Reply thelittlelibrarycafe 10th September 2014 at 11:26

Yum – looks delicious! I love using up old half-empty packets of things on bakes. 🙂

• Reply Julie's Family Kitchen 10th September 2014 at 21:23

Both versions look amazing and I’m guessing that they taste as fantastic as they look.

• Reply LoveandLimoncello 21st September 2014 at 20:02

One thing I love is baileys! So a cake with baileys is just my idea of heaven! I have had baileys cheesecake but not in a sponge. If only you technology was so far advance I could taste via reading.

• Reply Lucy @ BakingQueen74 25th September 2014 at 21:21

Wow cake with amaretti in, I bet it was epic (as my six year old would say)! Yum, must try this. #Bakeoftheweek

• Reply Hay In A Day 27th September 2014 at 11:11

Ooh love the sound of a cake with a bit of crunch – great idea #bakeoftheweek

• Reply Helen at Casa Costello 27th September 2014 at 12:25

The Bailey’s Cake for me please! I cannot believe anyone has half eaten amaretti biscuits hanging around – they don’t last 2 minutes in this house! Thanks so much for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x

• Reply the foodie couple 27th September 2014 at 12:29

I don’t think we ever will have them hanging around again!

• Reply Kirsty Hijacked By Twins 30th September 2014 at 12:02

Ooooh this cake looks and sounds so delicious x #bakeoftheweek

• Reply Pecan & Maple Brioche Rolls - Bake of the Week - Casa Costello 3rd October 2014 at 06:39

[…] as much as I do – Who could resist the beautiful colours of this Mixed Berry Pavlova? 2. Ooh Amaretti & Chocolate Crunch Cake – I need a slice of this from The Foodie Couple Blog. I cannot believe anyone has leftover […]

• Reply Hips & Lips 11th November 2014 at 17:01

the cake looks so moist. just to clarify that there is no milk in this recipe? thank you very much 🙂

• Reply Raspberry & Rose Bundt Cake for Mother's Day - how to cook good food 1st March 2016 at 20:53

[…] Amaretti & Chocolate crunch cake – The Foodie Couple Blog […]