It’s likely to be no secret to you now that I like cocktails. They’re often featured in my food reviews and sometimes even get a full post dedicated to them. Despite this I’ve never really made them at home. They’re quite an expensive habit to have, and keeping in lots of different spirits and mixers, as well as syrups, garnishes etc can be quite a hard feat!
Since buying our own home 5 years go (doesn’t time fly!) our spirits shelf has slowly built up so I thought I would now have a go a creating some of my own. One of my favourite cocktails historically has been the Margarita, I love sharp citrus drinks and so thought I’d try a twist on this with some pink grapefruit, as we always seem to have some of these in the house as Lee likes them for breakfast.
- 50ml tequila blanco
- 20ml triple sec
- 50ml pink grapefruit juice
- 25ml lime juice (I use freshly squeezed for both juices)
- 10ml sugar syrup
- salt (for the glasses)
- ice (a large handful)
- 2 half moon segments fresh grapefruit (to garnish)
- Firstly salt your glasses and fill with ice to chill- I like using Martini Style glasses for these (see pic for example). Wet the rim of the glass with ice or lime juice, then dip into salt that you have scattered over a small plate and then add some ice.
- Put the tequila, triple sec, syrup and both juices and more ice into a cocktail shaker or jam jar with the lid on, and give it a good shake.
- Discard the ice and then strain the cocktail between the glasses.
Garnish with the slices of grapefruit, or as you wish. Put your feet up.
Happy drinking 🙂