Making curries of one type or another is one of my favourite things to cook and experiment with at the moment. I find making curry or spice pastes really theraputic! There are obviously successes and failures in these along the way, but this one is one of the yummier ones in recent times – a vegetable curry using up all the veg in the fridge at the end of the week with a Thai yellow curry paste.
It’s quite a spicy one, but the coconut milk and the dollops of cooling yoghurt balance this out quite nicely.
If veg isn’t your thing – you could easily adapt this for chicken or fish particularly, poaching the protein in the sauce once the coconut milk has gone in.
For the curry paste
- 2 lemon grass stalks, outer leaves discarded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 dried kashmiri chillies – soaked in hot water for 30mins then roughly chopped
- 1 red birds eye chill, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1.5 tbsp galangal paste (or fresh peeled if you can get it)
- 1 tbsp tumeric (or fresh peeled if you can get it)
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful coriander stalks
- 2 tbsp water
For the curry
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled deseeded and chopped into 2-3cm cubes
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 red pepper,deseeded and cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 2x 400ml tin coconut milk
- squeeze of lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful coriander leaves – to garnish
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt – to garnish
- First make the paste – put all the ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. Put aside for now.
- Heat a large heavy based pan and add about 1 tbsp oil. When hot add in the sliced onions and fry for about 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add in the curry paste, and cook out, stirring gently for another 5 minutes.
- Add in all the coconut milk, and mix so that all the paste is combined
Mix in all the chopped vegetables and stir well. Cover and cook on a low heat for about 40minutes, until all the veg is cooked through.
Take of the heat, season and add the juice of 1 lime. Garnish with coriander and a dollop of yoghurt.
Serve with rice or naan bread (or both!)
Happy eating 🙂