There’s just something about miniature versions of things that make everyone oooh and ahh isn’t there – think small animals, baby clothes etc. Well for me the same certainly applies to food – there’s something ever so appealing about a canapé! So when Heinz challenged us to come up with a recipe for their newly launched Seriously Good Mayonnaise that would fit on a spoon it sounded like a great thing to do!
Given that it’s summer, we’ve been eating a lot of salads and one of our favourites here is a Caesar Salad, pimped up a little with some chicken and bacon, so what better than to serve some spoon sized portions of this to impress your guests at a party!
Homemade Caesar dressing is really easy to make – and tastes so much better than shop bought stuff. All you need is some mayonnaise, garlic, anchovies, parmesan and vinegar. Heinz Seriosuly Good Mayonnaise we’ve found is perfect for this, as its so rich and creamy and they use the best quality ingredients with no added colours, flavours or artificial thickeners.
Makes 20 spoon sized servings
- 1 head of Romaine or Cos Lettuce, washed and roughly torn into small pieces
- about 50g of parmesan cheese. 20g finely grated for the dressing and the rest made into thicker shavings with a potato peeler
- 12 anchovy fillets (2 for the dressing, the rest chopped in half for the salad)
- 2 slices bread – what ever you have left is fine. Remove the crust then cut into 1cm cubes to make croutons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked thoroughly, cooled and refrigerated then chopped into roughly 1/2cm cubes
- 8 rashers streaky bacon, cooked until crispy, cooled then broken into shards
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp Heinz Seriously Good Mayonnaise
- Make the Caesar dressing firstly by putting the mayonnaise, minced garlic, 2 of the anchovies the 20g of finely grated parmesan and the vinegar in a blender and whizz for about 30 seconds.
- Pop the cubes of bread on a preheated baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Cook at about 180 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Put the cut up chicken in a bowl and mix with the caesar dressing, keeping some to drizzle over the top of the spoons if you wish.
- You are now ready to assemble your masterpieces – pop onto the spoons a piece of lettuce, small amount of the cut up chicken in dressing and a parmesan shaving then top off with a little morsel of anchovy, a crouton and a shard of the bacon. Drizzle more sauce over the top if you chose to reserve some!
Happy eating! 🙂
Do you have some great ideas of things that you could serve on a spoon? Well if so, why not take part in the challenge over on the Heinz Website. Come up with a #heinzseriouslygood recipe that fits on a spoon and share your recipe on social media using the hashtag and they will pick their favourites!
If you’re looking for inspiration, have a look through these other seriously good spoonfuls!
- Crispy Fish Balls with Easy Tartare Sauce
- Micro Quail Egg & Smoked Ham Danish Open Sandwich
- Mushroom, Walnut and Tarragon Mousse
- Rainbow Devilled Quails Eggs
- Rosemary Potato Stars with Lemon Mayonnaise
- Seriously Good Chocolate-frosted Black Forest Brownies
- Spicy Crab and Watercress Open Sandwich
- Nori Wrapped Hot Smoked Salmon with Miso Mayonnaise
Disclosure: This recipe was commissioned by Heinz, all opinions and words are our own.